Performs pool lifeguard duties in the interest of public safety at city pool facilities and elsewhere. Monitors pool activities and may assist in the planning and coordination of the lifeguard unit. May supervise others.
Examples of Duties
* Monitors activities in swimming areas to prevent accidents and enforces rules and regulations. Provides immediate backup to other lifeguard staff if there is an emergency.
* Cautions swimmers regarding unsafe areas and proper safety practices. Rescues swimmers in danger of drowning. Administers first aid as required. Notifies appropriate officials of accidents, incidents, and disturbances.
* Assists supervisor as needed to prepare and distribute bi-weekly schedules. Implements a rotating schedule of breaks and rest periods to ensure optimum lifeguard performance. Relieves lifeguards as necessary.
* Maintains record book and creates reports for all accidents and incidents that occur.
* Assists the Senior Recreation Professional in supervising the activities of the pool lifeguard unit.
* Completes required reports such as daily operations, incident, and accident reports. Tests pool chemistry for correct water balance.
* May be assigned to assist in teaching instructional classes to lifeguard personnel and the public to include an American Red Cross Learn to Swim class, water safety classes, and water fitness classes. Helps ensure that all required certifications of lifeguard personnel are current.
* Interacts effectively with the general public in responding to concerns or complaints, and fosters positive and effective public relations. Responds to complaints and concerns of customers and citizens in a calm, helpful manner. Investigates and resolves disputes between staff and customers when required.
* Inspects designated areas frequently to ensure cleanliness and performs routine maintenance as needed.
* Demonstrates regular and punctual attendance.
* Performs related work as assigned.
Graduation from high school or successful completion of the GED. Three (3) years of experience as a lifeguard on a public beach or in a public pool facility required with some supervisory experience preferred; Applicants must be 18 years of age. Current American Red Cross Lifeguarding certification is required and current American Red Cross Basic First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer Certifications are required. Current American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) certification is preferred. Current American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor (LGI) certification is preferred. Applicants must have successfully completed training on Preventing Disease Transmission, Oxygen Administration, and on the use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) is required, or must be completed within 30 days of employment in this position. Must have thorough knowledge of standard Red Cross lifesaving procedures and first aid practices, and have the ability to train others. Requires ability to be courteous and firm with the public; ability to investigate and respond to concerns from citizens; ability to foster effective public relations and work effectively with diverse groups. Ability to follow oral and written instruction; ability to prepare written reports and to keep records. Must successfully complete physical testing to include demonstration of skills and abilities similar to a standard American Red Cross Pre-test. Examples of physical testing may include: 300 yard swim, brick retrieval drive, and two to three rescue demonstrations. Any person offered employment with the city in this position shall be required to successfully pass testing for controlled substances. Must successfully pass a background check related to this position.
Performs duties under the general supervision of a Senior Recreation Professional. Requires shift work to include nights, weekends, and holidays. Work is performed in a variety of weather conditions. Extensive contact with the public. This is a non-exempt position. SDL2017