This is an exciting time to join Catholic Eldercare! We are seeking a Sous Chef The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting in implementing meal preparation and general kitchen support. This role is accountable to the Executive Chef, Director of Dining Services, and the Dining Services Manager for the performance and completion of meal preparations. This is a full-time opportunity scheduled 80 hours per pay period including every other weekend. Typical shifts will end by 6 pm with one weekday off each week.
- Answers and reports directly to Executive Chef in addition to Director.
- Preps according to production sheets and provides general kitchen support. Works with cooks on staff in preparation of meals as assigned.
- Works to support meals for NH residents, TCU guests, Adult Day Program and Cafe
- Mentors other staff in training basic culinary skills.
- Maintains orderliness and cleanliness of Dining Services Department, specific work equipment and work areas. Follows cleaning list and signs when done.
- Practices safe sanitation in preparation, storing, cooking and serving of food items
- Reads special event notices, daily activities schedules and special function forms and determines how they affect the department.
- Performs all duties in a manner that is consistent with quality standards, infection control practices and safety measures established by the nursing home, which includes using Standard Precautions.
- Catholic Eldercare is committed to recognition and effective management of each resident's pain and suffering. Every employee (within the scope of their position) is responsible to seek relief for any resident observed to be in pain (physical, spiritual or otherwise) through therapeutic intervention (hand holding, physical touch, acknowledgement of discomfort) and reporting the discomfort to the appropriate staff
- Attends monthly department meetings, in-service programs and other meetings in the interest in improving skills and acquiring knowledge, as required. If in school, meets with supervisor to get specifics of missed department meetings.
- Work as a team member, respecting other co-workers and adapting to changes in work assignments to meet resident and/or staffing needs.
- Performs reasonably similar or related duties as assigned or instructed.
- Must be able to learn and interpret a wide variety of restrictive/therapeutic diets as required.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Three (3) years culinary experience, preferred commissary or institutional kitchen experience
- Culinary degree preferred
- Possess a professional understanding of all federal, state and local foodservice regulations pursuant to Food Manager Sanitation Certification
- Possess and maintain Food Manager Sanitation Certification
- Exemplify creative, exciting food and production skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to maintain operations of Dining Services department.
At Catholic Eldercare, we offer a range of benefits including educational scholarship opportunities, health, dental, vision, life, short-term disability and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending account, retirement savings and great work/life balance.
Company Description Catholic Eldercare is a community of five residential nursing facilities in Northeast Minneapolis offering the finest in senior services such as assisted living, independent living, skilled nursing, memory care and a proud foundation in fellowship and pastoral care.
Our senior communities have provided affordable housing and care to Minneapolis seniors for over 30 years. Every Catholic Eldercare residence offers a welcoming, caring atmosphere where seniors of all faiths receive the support, respect and spiritual enrichment they need to live life to the fullest.