I read with interest your advertisement seeking a professional Chef, as I believe I possess the attributes necessary to make the role a success.
As you will see from my resume, I have a proven track record of being an accomplished leader with a distinguished culinary and management career in fine dining, hotel and restaurant management and high volume catering. Strong leadership and outstanding team building skills. Significant contributor to revenue/profit growth through aggressive improvements in quality, productivity, operational efficiency and customer service
Adept at leading a team or working as part of a team, I am also an enthusiastic self-starter able to change the working culture of my team.. I have initiative and loads of drive. My personal motto is: "Never give up". Technical skills include, Staff training and Development, Food Production and Presentation, Innovative Menu Development and Planning, Quality Assurance and Control, Safety and Sanitation, Purchasing and Inventory Management, Food/ Beverage and Labor Control, Word, Outlook and Excel software proficiency and strong communication skills.
I hope to have an opportunity to meet with you to discuss how I could contribute to your team.
Jun 2016 -
Key Result Areas
Menu planning and quality control
- Menu items are appropriate to the Hotel’s market and aimed at maximising revenue within acceptable food cost margins and maintaining high standards of food quality
- All menu items, buffets (including breakfast) are planned according to seasonal availability
- Overall supervision is maintained to ensure high standard and quality of all food items prepared and served
Revenue, departmental profit and margins
- Acceptable Food Cost margins as required are achieved.
- Controls relating to stocks, purchasing, goods receiving, menu costing, portion control, quality and security are implemented and maintained to achieve required theoretical and actual food cost margins and par stocks,
- All stocks are ordered to the correct quantity, quality specifications and price and par stocks are maintained.
Guest service standards
Standard Recipes and Presentation Specifications
- Minimum Guest Service Standards in respect of the Restaurant, Room Service and Conferences
(Food production and service) are set, implemented, maintained and regularly reviewed
- This includes setting preparation (standard recipes) and presentation standards (including portion, accompaniments, garnishes, side dishes, presentation, plating, etc.) for all menu items
- Liaison is maintained with Food and Beverage/ Hotel Management to identify occupancies,special events, conferences, VIP functions and that arrangements accordingly made and communicated to ensure standards of service and quality
- Monthly Guest Comments Results meet or exceed the Group average for all Food and Beverage attributes measured.
Quality assurance -physical
- The Minimum Physical standards set out in the Group's Operations Standards Manual in respect of the Restaurant, , Room Service, Kitchen and Conferences as relate to Kitchen management and Food production relate, are met and maintained
- Quality Assurance Assessment scores - Physical in respect of the Kitchen Areas scores meet or exceed the Group benchmark
Systems, equipment and controls
- Required Food and Beverage procedures, operational and administrative systems and controls as may be applicable to the Kitchen are in place as laid down in the Accounting Standards Manual
- Kitchen and ancillary operating equipment and stocks are maintained and assets controlled.
- Regular operating/service stock and operating equipment stocks are conducted and variance reports reconciled
- All stocks are kept securely and under the correct conditions applicable to each type of commodity stored
Emergency planning, safety and security
- Safety and Security Procedures and allocation of responsibilities are in place. The following to be implemented:-
- Emergency Plans (Bomb, Fire, Armed Robbery, Evacuation, GUEST illness, etc.)
- Accident procedures
- Theft procedure and forms
- Key Control procedures for Master Keys
- Required statutory and health and safety notices are posted at all relevant points and all Kitchen personnel have been trained in safety aspects and basic fire prevention/ use of fire equipment
- Staffing levels and rostering is maintained to meet operational requirements and within budgeted parameters
- Attendance registers are maintained daily and repeated absenteeism brought to the attention of management
- Sound labour relations practices are maintained in respect of adherence to labour laws, application of discipline, grievance handling and employee communications
- Departmental meetings are held/ communications maintained to ensure the smooth running of the kitchen
- All Staff are correctly dressed to satisfy health and safety requirements as well as enhancing the image of the establishment
Training and development
- A Department Training Needs analysis is conducted on a quarterly basis and all Kitchen personnel are adequately trained in preparation methods, portion control, hygiene and food safety, workplace health and safety.
- Departmental Training Plans are maintained for incorporation into the Hotel's Workplace Skills Plan.
On-going training is conducted to ensure competency and to address identified training needs and Departmental Training Plans are maintained
Jan 2010 - May 2016
Cresta Golfview Hotel
- Overseeing subordinates in their daily working environment
- Menu planning and creating recipes
- Ordering of supplies
- Maximize productivity of kitchen staff
- Training of kitchen personnel
- Maintaining desired Cost of Sales
- Maintain high standards of hygiene and safety regulations
- Ensuring quality culinary dishes are served on schedule
- Approve of all prepared food items that leave the kitchen
- Address any complaints affecting the kitchen and ensure they are resolved
- Achieved record profitability of restaurant and catering operations for the past three years. Cut food and labor costs by 8% while increasing sales, food/service quality and guest satisfaction.
- Redesigned menus and renegotiated terms with vendors/suppliers; halted rampant waste; and unified front- and back-of-house staff to create a cohesive, cooperative team committed to premium guest service and optimum profitability
- Achieved a record 85% hygiene audit results beating the company’s 80%minimum
Executuve Sous Chef
Sep 2004 - Feb 2009
Albida Tourism Group,The Victoria Falls Safari Lodge
- Planning of set Menus for Lunch and Dinners
- Maintain high standards of Breakfast service as this is the main Hotel Kitchen
- Supervision of the staff canteens
- Supervise the main Pastry Kitchen
- To Liaise with Makuwakuwa restaurant with regards to business levels of day
- Liaise with Reservations with regards to daily occupancy
- Supervision and organization of the kitchen smooth service and excellent presentation of all food prepared
- To hold daily briefings with kitchen brigade to keep up to the expected levels of business through ensuring that all mis en place is in order.
- Ensuring smooth operations within the kitchen there by maintaining high standards of food production and hygiene
- To prepare seasonal breakfast, lunch and dinner menus.
- To meet with the Resort Executive Chef and the resort Food and Beverages Manager to discuss opportunities for improvements and new ideas on a monthly basis.
- To be financially aware of the cost prices of food items used to produce dishes on the menu.
- To conduct monthly stock takes of food items and equipment for control purposes and production of monthly operating and financial results.
- Other duties, to train all Resort staff on Excellency in Hospitality Program
- National Vocational Trainer with the Ministry of Education and Zimdef
- Responsible to the Resort Executive Chef.
706/2 Certificate in Professional Cookery
Jan 1991 - Dec 1992
Bulawayo Polytechnic,Hotel School